Pages

Friday 4 January 2013

Ambleside Online Year One so far: Copywork

DS has always quite liked writing, more so than reading. He draws pictures and labels them (copying the words out of books) on his own initiative. The first writing I did with him was making an Alphabet book. We also did a calendar, following the ideas from Charlotte Mason Help.

Alphabet Book "O" 
Calendar
In June DS moved on to Penny Gardner's Beautiful Handwriting. It was a transition for him to have to form letters in the correct way, and he resisted somewhat. Funnily enough, we had a break over the summer and when we came back his writing had improved. I also bought a wipe clean alphabet board for easy practice. It works better if DS does it on his own without me hovering over him, so he does a few words a day independently, which is nice for me to be able to send him off to do that. I haven't worked out if it's better with a timer or a set amount of work. He can write quite nicely when he is really paying attention, which is of course a fundamental habit to establish. He is more likely to rush his work though at the moment.
Penny Gardner's Beautiful Handwriting
DS's finished the alphabet and individual words, so we are now on to sentences and copywork proper, which is another transition. There are a few sentences with Penny's programme, and then I will have to work out what to give him.



1 comment:

  1. Hiya, it is Heather (not the American one!) from tennis here - I was delighted to discover a fellow Charlotte Mason-ite in the area, and have been enjoying looking through what you have been up to in your blog. Congrats on your newest arrival not to mention keeping up everything else as well!
    I noticed the same thing with both my girls, that a break helped their writing immensely, especially when we got onto joined up writing. I love looking back and seeing where they were and where they have got to - very encouraging! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete